Monday, September 10, 2007

Safety First

Apparently this is Safety Awareness Afternoon. Number 4, 716 on my to-do list: post a list of emergency numbers by the phone. Where better to look to make sure I don't forget any: my friendly neighborhood Internet! Here's what cyberspace had to offer for anyone interested in upping their safety quotient:

  • Not only should you have e-numbers posted by your land line, but also in your cell phone's memory, according to these guys. I think the ICE (in case of emergency) number makes a lot of sense, except that it would be The Husband, who's already listed under his own name and the phone won't let me enter it again. Hmmm.....
  • In addition to the basics (911, fire department, police, doctor, dentist), you could also list both in-town and out-of-town family/friends as emergency contacts.
  • Less important than the above, consider including animal control, plumber, electrician, etc. People you don't want to be hunting around for in a mini-emergency.

Besides the phone list, I realized that we don't have a fire extinguisher. Maybe we have one in the garage...but I'll be getting one for the kitchen. And carbon monoxide detectors for the two bedrooms. I read somewhere recently that you should replace the batteries on your smoke detectors twice per year. Isn't that why you check the battery? To make sure it's still working? Do we need to throw out perfectly good batteries? Any thoughts on this?

And finally, I'll be asking The Husband to show me how to check the temperature on our water heater. Apparently, I can kill two birds with one stone (baby safety and energy savings) by making sure it is set no higher than 120 degrees.

There. Nothing over-the-top, but things that I think are true essentials. Any other suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can probably just add ICE to D's name in your phone if you just edit it. That's what I did for B and so now it says, "B ICE" Kind of like Vanilla Ice, but not as cool, of course. :)

Don't forget the number for Poison Control on your list.