Monday, November 15, 2010

Rainbows 'R' Us

Some shots of the birthday girl from the birthday party:








And enjoying a few of her rainbow-y birthday gifts (she would NOT take that t-shirt off):




Okay, she MAY have had a little engineering help from a particularly gifted mother...

...who MAY have inadvertently brought her to tears by intimidating her with mad house-building skillz. The kid's gotta toughen up! :D

By the way, no one told me that turning 3 actually meant she was turning 13. Or maybe the Montessori school is to blame, with all her sophisticated, worldly 6-year-old classmates rubbing off on her. Whatever the reason, this child has suddenly developed Attitude. Seriously. Everything we ask her to do (or not do) is met with "Okaaaa-aaay!" in a tone that I'm not sure I can spell out, but the sound of which I'm quite sure my mother remembers. She told the Husband recently that she wasn't speaking to him. She told me to "chill out" two nights ago (I wasn't even talking at the time, and she immediately followed this with an invitation for me to share her dinner, so I don't think she even knew what it meant). She told me to "stop it" when I told her to stop yelling across the house to her father and to walk closer to him so he could hear her. And, for those of you who missed it on Facebook, the Husband was singing a silly song to her the other day. She said, "Daddy, we're not playing that game." "What game are we playing?" he asked. "We're playing the Hush game."

Oh, and today she told him I don't drive very well because I can't find places. Ingrate.

But you know what else she did today? When I came home from dance class, I could see her jumping up and down on the other side of the door as I walked across the porch. I opened the door and she went running to the top of the basement stairs to yell to her daddy that "Mommy's home! Mommy's home!" Then she came running back to me, full-tilt, jumped in my arms and hugged me hard, squealing, "I love you! I love you! I love you! Huggies, Mommy!" THAT'S my girl!

4 comments:

Sarah Berry said...

Ooooooo, you're in troubbbbllllleeeee! Maybe you should starting reading all those "how to parent your teenage daughter" books now :)

So happy to see pics of you guys, I was wondering why there weren't any in the other birthday post! Are those the blocks we bought her?!

Wonderland said...

I love her little rainbow skirt! So cute!

feather nester said...

Thank you! I was pleased with how it turned out.

die Frau said...

Also loved the skirt. And all the happy faces!