Monday, April 09, 2007

Next on the List: Conquering the World (or at Least the Vacuuming)

Okay, now I know I'm on the mend. I ended up with a "snow day" today (yay!) and haven't felt so much like myself in weeks. My impressive list of accomplishments today include:

  • laundry (including folding! That never happens around here)
  • unloading the dishwasher
  • walking the dog
  • grocery shopping
  • cooking dinner
  • purchasing tickets to see my parents in June
  • beginning travel plans for our anniversary

Okay, so "impressive" may be an overstatement, at least for you normal folks. I'm impressed with myself. It's been so long since I've been a contributing member of this household. And now I've blogged twice in two days! Though no pictures today. I'll share a recipe instead:

Fettucine with Bacon, Peas, and Parmesan

  • 9 oz fresh fettucine pasta
  • 2 slices bacon
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 tsps minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
  • 1/2 c frozen peas
  • 1/2 c chopped green onions
  • 1/3 c half and half
  • 2 tsps butter
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 c shredded parmesan cheese
  1. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1/4 c cooking liquid.
  2. Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan; crumble. Add onion, garlic, and thyme to drippings in pan; saute 2 min. Stire in peas; saute 1 min. Add green onions; saute 1 1/2 min. Add pasta, reserved cooking liquid, and half and half to pan; cook 1 min or until thoroughly heated, tossing to combine. Remove from heat. Add butter, salt, pepper to pan; toss until butter melts. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and parmesan cheese.

4 servings.

It's from the March 2007 Cooking Light. I skipped the green onions because we boycott those in this household. I also used skim milk instead of half and half because that's what I had. I also forgot to reserve the pasta liquid to add in later. For us it only served 2, but I had intended to serve a salad or veggie with it, which I didn't because the husband was too starving to wait by the time it was ready. With sides, it would have served 4, if none of the 4 were my husband. I imagine it would be a lot better with the half and half than the skim milk, though it was pretty good as is. If anyone tries it before I do again, let me know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!! I didn't know you got Cooking Light also! I'll have to start telling you which recipes I've tried and liked. I saw this one and thought it looked good, but we never actually made it. We did make the whole wheat spinach and feta calzone (AMAZING!) and the cajun shrimp made in foil (I would change the recipe, but it has potential), and the pasta and flank steak with mushrooms (Yum, yum, yum!). Oh I could talk recipes all day long! :) Glad to hear you're feeling better - I think your list is quite impressive!