Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Ecological Footprint Calculator

The Earth Day Network has a very cool new gizmo up on their site to help you see exactly how horrifying your own, personal ecological footprint is. Seriously, it's a really fun/eye-opening activity, and you can do the fast version, if you're pressed for time, or the more detailed version, if you want a more accurate idea of how your lifestyle affects the planet.

I was humbled to see that it would take 5.2 planets to maintain my lifestyle if everyone lived the way I do. There are suggestions given at the end for how to lower that number. Looks like I need to go vegan and stop flying. Heh.

That's not likely to happen, but it is a little bit of inspiration and a reminder of how important it is for me to do what I can: buy a little more local, try a little harder to reduce packaging, and (for the love of canvas!) remember my cloth bags at the grocery store.

How many planets do you use?

1 comment:

Sarah Berry said...

I just did this last week! I was equally shameful with 5.1 planets. But like you said, I'm not able to stop flying, so we'll do what we can!